Questions about the farm, CSA, or witty advice please email me at kathyjross19@gmail.com.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Day 60



And I'm back! It's always hard going back to work after a great, long weekend, but it's hard to be in a bad mood after picking blackberries. Here's my day's rundown, Cory showed me the honey they collected yesterday and told me that we are going to check on them in two weeks to make sure the queen is there and happy...doing queen stuff. The old queen abandoned ship with half her workers because they were too crowded, queens need there space people. Hopefully the workers built a new queen; they do that by selecting certain larva and feeding them royal jelly. Side note: I also eat royal jelly and if I start taking on royal-like tendencies don't be alarmed. They actually build several queens but the first one out will stab the other queens, yikes! A queen can keep her stinger and sting multiple times. In other words, don't mess with the queen.


Kohlrabi
 We harvested for CSA today and began with garlic, broccoli, broccolini (eat the stalks not so much the flower), komatsuna, and kohlrabi. What's kohlrabi? Good question! Think of it like cabbage. The taste and texture of kohlrabi are similar to those of a broccoli stem or cabbage heart, but milder and sweeter. The young stem in particular can be as crisp and juicy as an apple, although much less sweet. Or so I've heard, haven't tried it yet but will keep you kohlrabi updated. I made the deliveries today around town and was running behind, well, we were running behind...I'd be on time if it were up to me. ;) We picked blackberries around lunch, I taste tested them and they were delicious...and safe for customers (I'm here for you customers, I do a lot of unauthorized taste tests...for you). Anyhoodly, we harvested more potatoes and packaged up most everything to get ready for me to deliver around Atlanta tomorrow.

Largest Zucchini...Ever
There's a whole bunny family by the barn

No comments:

Post a Comment