Questions about the farm, CSA, or witty advice please email me at kathyjross19@gmail.com.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Day 55

Bittersweet day; we worked in my favorite field doing my two nemesis jobs: weeding and trellising. Started out with me and intern Jason transplanting tomatoes in the remaining empty rows. These needed to be transplanted about three weeks ago (they already needed a trellis), so this was a new challenge transplanting plants that come to my knees! After that I wheel hoed for a hot minute until I went to help Daniel with the T-Posts.

Daniel and I went on an adventure after that. It's always an adventure because you never know where you're going with him, he'll say "Khaki come bailing twine, water, harvest". Which ended up meaning, "Kathy would you come with me to harvest squash, grab more twine for trellising then water the greenhouses?" Yes, I will and did. The squash looked amazing, there's Zephyr squash (yellow) and over with the zucchini you'll find Italian striped showing off. Those Italians.

I had a whole cucumber for a pre-lunch snack, a perk of working on a farm. This is off topic, but now I dream about farm things, like I dreamt of cured onions the other night, do you know how odd that is when you wake up and think back, yep those were onions in my dream? Anyhoodle, cucumbers are amazingly delicious, yet another vegetable that tastes completely different coming from the farm. I wish you could taste it, perfect summer time veggie. They originated from India, and have been cultivated for at least 3,000yrs. These dudes need to be trellised otherwise they start growing crazy circular and not elongated with tapered ends.




After my adventure, I went back to the field where we did more trellising and weeding. My technique went back to what I used at first which was weaving in and out of the plants for trellising instead of just pulling tight on each side from post to post. Oh, and when I was walking home I ran into these guys :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment