Questions about the farm, CSA, or witty advice please email me at kathyjross19@gmail.com.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Day 9

We began today by cleaning up the mess we made in the barn yesterday, it looked like we had a veggie throwdown party in there. I harvested and weeded strawberries most of the day in a couple different fields. We tried to put the plastic over to make another hoop house but it was too windy and Cory said it could literally pick up four people if we kept trying and since none of us signed any death waiver's we stopped.
As a last resort, if the bugs are going crazy on a crop or in the hoop house we use Spinosov a product by Intrust, it's a bacteria that destroys the digestive lining of insects. It's really expensive, so not a lot is used; mostly the unhealthy plants are the ones with insect problems or so I've read. Also, in some pictures you'll see what looks like long cloth sheets, these are row covers and they protect a bit from frost and bugs, wind and rain for seedlings. We spent some time in the field by the plantation harvesting cabbage and asparagus. Then I started some seed transplants of cucumber, zucchini, and watermelons. It's amazing, my stomach got dirty and I was wearing three layers of clothes!

Strawberries in Gus' Field

Loofah from last year, I didn't even know these were from plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment