Questions about the farm, CSA, or witty advice please email me at kathyjross19@gmail.com.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Day 8

Potato Field in the Works

Whew just came out of my mouth. Started the day harvesting turnips, parsley, green onions, Asian salad mix, Kale, asparagus etc. for Farmer's Fresh, a co-op. Cory gave me some tips about starting out and learning by trial and error, also have an array of veggies growing so you don't have to rely on just one crop or variety. After lunch we went to a field in Newman with 40 sacks of potatoes to plant. We used the same machine as before with the onions, Daniel and the Honduras guy dumped the potatoes and Cory and I would push them in deeper in order to till (which weeds and helps fertilize). At first my job was to kick dirt over the potatoes which reminded me of walking Duffy the dog with Jason and he'd kick up dirt after doing his business (these analogies come free of charge). Then we switched off and rode behind the tractor dropping in the potatoes, throwing some because the driver went pretty fast most of the time. And in the end I looked like this...
FarmGirl=DirtyGirl

In case you were wondering what I do in my free time, cow puzzles.









No comments:

Post a Comment