Questions about the farm, CSA, or witty advice please email me at kathyjross19@gmail.com.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 58

These are my pants...clean
 12+ hour workdays...did it! We started out bright and too early prepping the beds in the hoop houses. That means hoeing, raking, more raking, composting, "the claw"(wheel hoe attachment) breaks up the soil, then raking again cause why not? Once that was finished Erica and intern Jason planted cucumbers while Cory and I wheel hoed at Gus' for a hot minute, 25 hot minutes to be exact, before calling it quits for lunch.

We rallied and headed to pasture field to pull up old sweet potatoes plants in the strawberries. Apparently you can replant them and they do just fine. Cory had a hard time ordering slats for cheap; organic sweet potatoes are $1 a slat which adds up fast! Cory said one chef can't wait for these and said our sweet potatoes tasted like toasted caramel. Toasted caramel?!! I might turn into a sweet potato burglar if that's true.
Sweet Potato Chaos!
 I put water in the transplanter then helped Erica, Daniel, and Jason with plastic row coverings. Side contemplation: I think I would do without the plastic on my next farm given the choice it's unnecessary with enough (wo)man power among other reasons. After that Daniel found a few tomato hornworms, and I admit I was fascinated and will have trouble killing them. They look like they have eyes on their sides and they really have a horn! Cory said there's tobacco ones too, only they're brown, which makes me think of the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland smoking that hookah, you know, hippy caterpillars, I guess the tobacco hornworm is a redneck version of that.
Wicked!
Next Cory, Logan his brother, me and Brody the collie went to lower field 2 to plant the sweet potatoes. We had a hiccup when we missed a planting hole for 3 rows (wasn't working properly no water) so we went back and mixed up varieties. Cory said he works better with chaos anyway, it's nice to have a laid back boss. We got off around 7:20...what a day!
Brody show dog/farm helper



No comments:

Post a Comment