Questions about the farm, CSA, or witty advice please email me at kathyjross19@gmail.com.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 71

Picking up in the Pick up
Me and my pick-up truck, I'm sure there's a country song for that as there should be. Something nice about riding along in the back, element of danger with the potential to face plow to the ground over one bump. I like it! This morning, Erica and I picked up squash, zucchini, and cucumbers in lower field, the striped zucchini's have made a come back, it's about time zuc's! All these veggies are fragile and get cuts and scrapes easily, so we put them directly into the bins and then load them on the truck.


I'm iridescent, jealous?
Carrot time! In hoop house 6, after months of waiting, harvested some beautiful large carrots. So tasty! We bunched 87 then moved to hoop house 1 to gather the rest of the pac choi. The choi had my favorite modern-arty looking bug harlequins (which I've previously posted about), despite their cool exterior they were eating the pac choi so they had to go. Yesterday we saw Cory's fav bug the tiger beetle. These guys are good predators, eating up the "bad" bugs; they also run crazy fast, the equivalent to us running 480 mph.

We did some bunching and washing before we loaded up with baskets to pick the blackberries. Cory's daughter's joined us and made it more entertaining as only 3 kids under 6 can do. After that record heat picking time we went to lunch.


Part II, went to harvest some kale, chard and zinnia's to bunch with basil. I was on zinnia duty and picked out the creme de la creme. We came back and got Cory's delivery boxes ready then headed to plant more tomatoes, water the greenhouse, and trellis. And done.

Note: Things are picking up around here and I'm thinking about going to a weekly blog to preserve my sanity, so this may be the last daily week.

3 comments:

  1. I'll miss your daily blog; my friends will, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote no to this. Keep the daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, Dad, you're the only one's reading everyday and we can talk on the phone.

    ReplyDelete