Questions about the farm, CSA, or witty advice please email me at kathyjross19@gmail.com.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 69


Saturdoodly and no market? Yes, I worked with Daniel today and found out I'm grumpy on Saturday mornings, but I cheered up after some blackberries. We started by raking in the sunflower/pea cover crop over in Main House. Then we baited the fence lines with aluminum foil dipped in peanut butter. Apparently, the deer just jump over the fence (crappy fence if you ask me) so Cory decides to bait it with peanut butter to give them a shock to let them know not to go there. Oh, and we saw a snake by the fence line, just hanging out doing snake things.


While Daniel sprayed deer off on the plants, I set up irrigation with the squash and cucumbers. Then we headed down to lower field with the sweet potatoes to spray more deer off. I found another snake in the back of mini truck in a bucket and dumped him into the bushes. It was kind of a repeat in both fields, with different deer be gone techniques and snakes. I've had better days.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, the snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That black snake looks like one that was curled up on the patio outside your room in the RB house. I thought it was a black french drain the workers had left and went over to pick it up and take it to the garbage.

    Please be careful..what kind of snake was in the truck?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I'm glad you didn't pick it up! The black one is a rat snake, we have one of those under our house I believe.

    I'm not sure what the other one was, he was tan and very small. Small enough for me to feel comfortable taking the bucket and dumping him in the woods.

    Bottom line, I'd rather see them around then have mice in my dresser.

    ReplyDelete