Questions about the farm, CSA, or witty advice please email me at kathyjross19@gmail.com.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 66


Sweet, as in honey sweet! I think I'll work my way backwards today to get to the honey action faster. I just finished direct seeding arugula, which I've never done before. I figure if I messed up no love loss with arugula. You put the seeds in little dispensers in the top of that there seeder and go back and forth across the row. We also met up with Ricky and are having lunch with him tomorrow across the street to see the house he's been working on for Burge. Sandy was walking around with the owner of Gun and Garden magazine, so Erica and I met her and her husband. They were proud of their "outdoor" shoes which looked like they had bought just for today...yuppies.

Before that we went to Jeff Cook to weed the onions. Not good times, there was pigweed all over the place. Thorns for day on these little buggers, even the leaves have thorns, what jerks! But who cares about pigweed, let's talk honey.
Before and After
Daniel and Erica extracted honey on Saturday, so the beeswax was on top of the strainer draining down honey goodness to the bottom. Cory likes to keep the beeswax and I hear it's expensive, therefore they ran the wax through warm water and bunched it into a ball.  You have to clean off the honey otherwise the bees will swarm like crazy...crazy. Where was I during this process? None of your beeswax! I've been waiting all day to say that and now it's out of my system *ahem*, I was busy taste testing or "cleaning" the honey bucket.

Nothing to see here folks, busy working



 Before lunch we prepared for CSA boxes and picked more cherry tomatoes. If you ever wondered about how to store your veggies for a period of time (like we do with all this produce), here's a website that covers pretty much everything.

In The Box

3/4 pint Blackberries
1 pint Mixed Cherry Tomatoes
1# Mixed Squash/Zucchini
1# Cucumber
1# New Potatoes
1 head Burge Heirloom Garlic
1 head Pac Choi
1 bunch mixed Italian and Thai Basil
1 bunch Radishes OR 1/2# Green Beans



 Also included in the box this week was Tongue of Fire beans! I haven't tried them yet but am more than a little excited too.

No comments:

Post a Comment