Questions about the farm, CSA, or witty advice please email me at kathyjross19@gmail.com.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 64



Today was colorful! We worked with a wide variety of fruits and veggies...and I used some colorful language. Started out by harvesting squash, zucchini, and cucumbers in the lower field. While the others finished up, I transplanted squash in the spaces where other squash didn't make it. I planted them in the middle of watermelons too, which will be pretty random when it comes time to harvest and we're traipsing all through the field trying to find the squash. Adventure!

We split up and intern Jason and Daniel went to cut down some bamboo for us to use to trellis the peppers. Erica and I harvested blackberries and blueberries--in a monsoon. Blueberries are the new guy in town, and it's best to wait until they are actually the blue color. I know this by taste testing (yes, I do that a lot) when you eat a purple blueberry you might as well have eaten a sour patch kid with a side of bitterness, which is why they are appropriately named blueberry, lesson learned.

After we dried our clothes in the dryer and ate lunch we went back for round 2. Erica and I weeded in the hoophouse then picked tomatoes. We have different varieties like brandywine, orange sun gold and yellow marigold. Now I admit, I have never liked tomatoes. Only in salsa and spaghetti would I accept them, but these heirlooms are a completely different story. They are delicious and I think the ones they sell at grocery stores and restaurants should be illegal. I've been popping these cherry tomatoes in my mouth like candy, I mean taste testing. So yum.




We came back and cleaned, weighed, pinted to get ready for tomorrow! Time went by really fast today, especially for a Monday, hope yours did as well.

3 comments:

  1. You finally are coming around on tomatoes,

    bet my Better Boys are better than your snob

    Heirlooms....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they'd even let heirlooms and Better Boys fight in the same weight class. But yeah, took 30 years for me to like tomatoes.

    Thanks Erica, you know I worked hard on it ;)

    ReplyDelete