Questions about the farm, CSA, or witty advice please email me at kathyjross19@gmail.com.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Day 35

Pea Pickin


What time is it? It's pea picking time and even nature knows which is how a "P" ended up on that leaf by the peas! Crazyness, I think some bug was marking it for his friends (I'm no Nancy Drew but I'm sticking with that story).
We have two different types, the sugar snap peas and English peas. The interns were left to our own deductive reasoning on how to trellis the peas, and we (of course) did it wrong, so Erica was trying to coax them towards the trellis while I picked them. We are using the English peas for the bicycle pea sheller at market tomorrow; intern Jason will keep the rest of us updated on the response.
Today for Friday fiesta I cooked everyone Veggie burrito's consisting of red and green bell peppers, squash, from the farm spring onions and garlic with cumin, coriander, and salt in the enchilada sauce. Next was the Guacamole Bean Dip out of my favorite recipe book The Kind Life: refried beans, guacamole with lime, Tofutti sour cream with taco seasoning, olives, and diced tomatoes on top. For dessert I wanted something from the farm so beets, with sweet potatoes and carrots cooked in brown sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg. Not bad for a vegan eh? Everyone loved it and the dip was a big hit! 
After lunch I helped prep 250 onions for a store pick-up Farms on Floyd, a cute local store that sells products from their own farm and from local ones like ours. Then I helped Cory prep some rows for new plants to be a planted. Before finishing out with harvesting my old friend asparagus.
This moment of silence brought to you by veggie burrito

No comments:

Post a Comment