Questions about the farm, CSA, or witty advice please email me at kathyjross19@gmail.com.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 31

That's right. I quit farming to become a ghostbuster. There's fertilizer in the tank, but the whole time I was spraying the theme song was in my head, only "Ain't afraid of no bugs" "Ain't afraid no weeds", what? don't look at me like that.

Today was windy and chilly, and everytime the weather changes so do our plans, so no transplanting today, too rough on those little guys. We started out with harvesting strawberries and fyi people tend to harvest faster when it's cold outside. Once we were done pinting up around 67 we moved on to check on those grafts from a couple weeks ago and they are budding up quite nicely!


Next we tackled weeding in Jeff Cook Field around the broccoli. We always try to get the weeds when they're barely coming up so the wheel hoe can just graze the top layer and cut them off under their roots. I know it looks like I'm doing some kind of farming yoga pose, but if you step on the weeds you just uprooted you inadvertently replant them with your feet.  

My next task was the fertilizer, but not just any fish guts and seaweed. This pack had to have a special addition:
Deer Stopper! Also called Deer Off! Makes you wonder how many of these are out there; Bear Off, Mouse Stopper, People Off? I guess people off would be like pepper spray.
Anyhoodle, Deer Stopper is made of Putrescent Whole Eggs, Rosemary and Mint. Although, I think they put in those last two for our sake, but that's like misting perfume on a sewage plant. This time of year we are seeing more and more deer as well as armadillo droppings. I didn't even know there were armadillo's up and about eating things, I thought they just slept on the sides of roads.

We finished by trellising the fast growing tomato plants, inter-weaving baleing cord around the T-Posts and plants. We'll probably have to redo some of them, Daniel gave mine a laugh, said the words "too loose" and "it's okay" all in one breath!
PS, Daniel's "It's okay" is like a "Bless your heart" if you know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment