Questions about the farm, CSA, or witty advice please email me at kathyjross19@gmail.com.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Day 13

Strawberry morning! I cleaned them up while the guys got more veggies ready for Farmer's Fresh Co-Op. Erica's (other intern) first day was today whoo hoo! She came straight from the airport and started helping out with potatoes planted last November. Apparently, you plant the mother potato then it has baby ones, then the mother potato becomes mushy and gross looking, you know like with people. They went off to harvest asparagus which comes back year after year and grows fast like a weed. Cory and I rolled up cloth row covers, I screwed one up but successfully rolled about 15, the owner doesn't like them laying out which brings me to our tour.
After lunch we went on a tour of the cabins and grounds with Sandy the owner and he told us about his family living here over 200 years; his great great great etc grandmother saving the farm from Sherman's destruction and a great grandmother starting a school for black children in the area. I guess the men didn't do much in his family. His wife put together a museum of the history. So Burge has been around and he was telling us that to become a member there's a waiting list of 50 people and it's the best private hunting club around Atlanta around 350 members. I think he said people have to die for a spot to open up, which I wouldn't advertise for a hunting club.
 I went with Sandy's niece Elizabeth to LA Fitness to promote CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) share sign up. We spoke to a lot of people and I didn't realize I had dirt on my forehead until an hour ago.

Our first CSA box

LA Fitness

No comments:

Post a Comment